
Chaos should be the name of my blog. We seem to have a disease running rampant in our home. The disease is called DIY home renovation. Currently the only room on the main level that not experiencing some sort of renovation is the family room. The kitchen that we gutted.....ummm, let's see.... I was pregnant with Walter....so over three years ago.......it still is not totally finished. (Funny how I remember things in the context of whether I was pregnant or not, and which pregnancy it was.) Anyway, as I was saying -- our house is in chaos.

We have been so busy trying to get ready for next week when the wonderful "floor man" Jessie will be here refinishing all of the beautiful maple flooring on the main floor that has been hidden under carpet for probably 50 years or more. He has one BIG patch to do where part of the front porch was enclosed during the 90's. Refinishing floors is not a DIY project -- at least in our book. But before we could have the floor man come we had to pour a foundation under the part of the house where the porch was enclosed. Thanks to Mr. Stratton (our favorite contractor man) and his helper Mr. Davis, we were able to get that done (and many a long evening put in by the resident handy man Dr. McGraw).



I have been texturing the ceiling in the living room/dining room. The ceiling currently has a decent orange peel texture, but I like the look of a "hand scraped" sort of texture that I have done on all the rest of the ceilings downstairs so far (and on the upstairs ceilings after we took off the popcorn texture--yuck). Over on my Farmhouse Accessories blog I plan on putting up a tutorial on how to texture a ceiling. It is really very easy, just time consuming.

Here you can see just what devastation occurs to flower beds when a foundation is poured after the house is built and the flower beds are established. I expected it. I try not to look when I walk past. I will instead think of beautiful maple floors, warm painted walls, a period appropriate mantle with bookshelves on either side, and a built-in pellet stove warming our "new" old living room come winter.
1 comment:
Wow! You guys have been busy! I guess I should have caught up with your blog before we talked and I would have been able to picture it all the chaos you were talking about. Won't it be great when it's all DONE! Patience--don't you love having to develop more of that one. I'm always finding that just when i think I have some, I need MORE!
Post a Comment