***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Problem with Pain

I am going to play turtle and stick my neck out. Hopefully no one chops it off before I can retract again. I have been pondering this subject a lot in the light of Walter's burn, but it has been a struggling point with me most of my life. Why does God allow pain and suffering, especially of the innocent? What is the purpose, if any? Is this a question I should even be asking?

I was pondering all of this the other day as I was cleaning up one of my flower beds (it looks lots better by the way). I do some of my best thinking while pruning, weeding, and cleaning beds. After the last "Mom, can you find me another salamander?" went back inside the house, my mind began churning. Is there a purpose in all of this, or is it simply just what happened--no blame, no rhyme or reason--just life. Does God really care about each sparrow that falls? If so, why doesn't he keep it from falling? This is a slippery slope that I don't venture too close to the edge of very often. Of course the obvious answer is sin. But isn't God more powerful than the devil? I know all the pat answers, have heard them all my life, but they don't work for me anymore. Life on earth is too complex for pat answers.

I still don't have the answer. One of my friends, Vicki Broeckel wrote in a note to us, "We can't measure God's love by our circumstances--the cross is the measure of His love to us." I like it.

Sticking my neck back in my shell now.

Here is a picture of the salamander by the way.

2 comments:

suziebabyzsazsa said...

Wendy,

I am sticking my neck out to venture an answer. God set this earth into motion with natural consequences, good and bad, for our choices and for nature. We have free agency. If we did not we would not know good from evil, sorrow from joy. Just like any parent he aches for the pain we experience. Physical and emotional, but what kind of parent would he be if he had absolute control over everything? We would learn nothing for ourselves. What would be the purpose of coming to this earth if God controlled our experience here? Natural consequences allow for great tragedy, like Walter stepping on a spot that was still smoldering and catching fire. But it also allows for great joy...the many joys we experience as a family, with friends etc. Free agency allows for mistakes and subsequent growth. And I believe, just like any parent, when asked for something sincerely he wants to give us what we want. Prayer, though Walter and your family have gone through so much, makes our difficult experiences here more bearable.

Susan

Unknown said...

Wendy,
Susan said it all! She is right, just look at yourself, I have seen through all of this a Christ-like maturity in you - more dependence on God for the things you cannot control yourself. Yes, what happened to Walter was terrible, but you are the stronger for it, and so will he be, I am sure.
Love,
Mom