It's a good thing we planted potatoes yesterday.
Today, the average wind speed has been about 30 mph. The max wind speed has been 46mph! Ugh!!!!!
I have been trying very hard to think of one single reason to be thankful for such wind.......
.....I'm still thinking on that one.......
Today, the average wind speed has been about 30 mph. The max wind speed has been 46mph! Ugh!!!!!
I have been trying very hard to think of one single reason to be thankful for such wind.......
.....I'm still thinking on that one.......
We spent as much of yesterday outside as we could-- we all needed it.
It just happened that we had nice potatoes still left over that we could save.
I usually plant red, white, and yellow potatoes.
--my favorites are pontiac(red), kennebec (white), and yukon gold (yellow) --
(with some interesting links about them).
I have the best crops with these varieties. I use the red for early potatoes, red potato salads, garlic smashed potatoes, and roasted on the BBQ. The kennebecs and yukons are both good for keeping long term and for all around baking and mashing.
Nothing beats home grown potatoes.
I usually plant red, white, and yellow potatoes.
--my favorites are pontiac(red), kennebec (white), and yukon gold (yellow) --
(with some interesting links about them).
I have the best crops with these varieties. I use the red for early potatoes, red potato salads, garlic smashed potatoes, and roasted on the BBQ. The kennebecs and yukons are both good for keeping long term and for all around baking and mashing.
Nothing beats home grown potatoes.
Digging holes for potatoes and putting the "seeds" in the holes was good counting practice for Walter.Wyatt was the "tractor" that covered up the potatoes. They were both great help.
Reid was disappointed that we planted potatoes while he was at school.
And Nona? She sat in the potato holes and gnawed on dirt clods and potatoes. Lots of help.
After the shoots emerge and get about a foot tall, Randy mounds up soil around the plants to promote potato development and to prevent sun burn on exposed potatoes.
Besides, it's much easier to dig potatoes if the are mounded up.
Keeping our fingers crossed now for some warm weather!


4 comments:
Today IS horribly windy! UGHHHH! I didn't walk today because of the wind. Where is our lovely Spring??
I L.O.V.E. garlic mashed potatoes ... my fave ... however, I am one of the few people in the world who is sensitive to solanine, found mostly in the skin my favorite part, so I have to moderate my potato intake.
Have you ever had the purple potatoes? They are so pretty and fun to eat!
Yum! I would love to grow my own potatoes! I've heard they are pretty easy, right? I thought about growing some in a bucket last year but never got around to it.
MY potatoes are starting to grow leaves! I am so excited, they are actually GROWING out there! MIRACLE!
My children loved digging up potatoes more than any other gardening 'chore'. Yum.
Post a Comment