***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Gift of Peace

Peaceful might seem like an odd word to use when describing a cemetery, but that is how I feel in a cemetery -- respectful and at peace. This last weekend we celebrated a holiday that honors those people that have fought for our country so that we can live in peace.

Seems ironic .... fighting for peace. But in this fallen world, I see no other option. The generations before us, the generations that lay in peace in this cemetery, fought for us.... people they would never really know.
Am I thankful?
Do my children, who have never known war, know what others have done for them?

These are questions I pondered this past weekend.....

My grandparents, now buried under "silent tents of green" , thought it very strange of me to bike down to the cemetery to study. I loved the cemetery for the instant atmosphere of peace and quite and tranquility. I could rest under the spreading limbs of an ancient oak and study, and when I was tired of studying, I could wander amongst the ornate gravestones and read beautiful tributes to people long gone.
(They don't make gravestones like they used to. I love the wonderfully ornate markers of old.)
(funny: Randy asked me if this is the kind of marker I wanted for my grave...... me?..... die?...... I guess I am getting to the age where I am not as invincible as I once was......)

Maybe my sense of peacefulness in a cemetery is partly because no one very close to my heart is buried there. Oh, I have visited my grandparent's graves and although I loved them very much and continue to miss them, I feel like their passing was an inevitable part of life........ death after a long, fully enjoyed life. Perhaps my feelings would be different if one of my babes were buried at the base of this guardian angel......

..... but I digress.....
I'd like to think that this past weekend, with all the ceremonies and flags and memorials, was a huge celebration of thankfulness for the peace we enjoy...... for we are immeasurably blessed.

My {gift to unwrap} today is the gift of peace, and my {Sweet shot} is the beauty to be found in your local cemetery.

{BTW.... a fitting marker for my grave.... a beautiful Peace rose, don't you think?}
{or perhaps...... this gorgeous tree?}


13 comments:

linda said...

Ah Wendy...
these photos are wonderful.
I love stone angels, they give me shivers.
This is very nice.

linda said...

Me again.
You like old cemeteries! Me too!

tracie @ {tsj} photography said...

what a beautiful post ... beautiful, peaceful images ...

i probably don't pay enough attention to cemetery's as i should. although, the other day i drove by as someone was standing near a marker and i said a prayer for them as i drove by ...

thanks for stopping by this morning! i have a feeling i've been to your site before ... i remember your redheaded cuties!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures . . . wonderful post. Thank you.

Southern Gal said...

Yes, peaceful would be the word to describe a cemetery. Your words and pictures are fitting for the place. Pretty and peaceful.

Susan said...

Simply AMAZING!!!!!!

Loved each one. Thanks~

Bring Pretty Back said...

This really does make sense to me. peace.

Traci said...

Beautiful and touching photos! So well done - angles and composition!

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK said...

Awesome shot of the street lined with flags. Absolutely beautiful and definitely heart and thought provoking. :)

Sam said...

GORGEOUS photos!

Bonnie said...

These are beautiful photos! I love the one of the flags at the gate!

snappy said...

I visited the little cemetery in our town on memorial day even though I don't know anyone buried there. I wanted to walk there and feel the peace you spoke of in your post. Very eloquent. My friend asked me why I would want to go to the cemetery. It is just something I like to do on memorial day.

sweetwyo said...

Wow these are beautiful photos! Love them!