***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Camping on the St. Joe River -- Wallace

Last weekend we went glamping on the St. Joe River, about 30 miles out of St. Maries.
What's glamping, you say?
No tent, no digging holes for potty, no cooking on a campfire.... real coffee, a real potty, and a real bed....
that's my sort of camping these days....
I've done the backpack, carry in and carry out thing ... and while I still have little legs and poopy diapers to carry out
.... glamping is what it's all about.


Saturday, we drove over the mountains (partly on the Hiawatha Trail)....
30 miles took us over an hour to travel....
lots of curves....
and one little girl that puked up her pickle lunch...
but Oh so beautiful.... the Tamaracks were just beginning to turn.

We had great fun exploring Wallace, eating ice cream, looking at silver, gold, copper, and garnets.
Wallace has a great history in mining. Matter of fact, I just read a book about it this past summer called The Deep Dark so it was interesting to see some of the things that were mentioned in the book.

We were lucky that a nice couple opened their variety store just so that the forlorn looking little ones could get some sustenance in the form of ice-cream... don't they look famished?
The store was part museum... so many wonderful vintage and antique things to look at.
A functioning player piano was a big hit as was the bathtub.

Outside the store was a fun UFO contraption that the kids clambered all over

More exploration....
see the sign on the door? Double Dr. (MD and DVM -- one stop clinic)

I had never been to the "shadowy St. Joe" before.... and let me say,
I can't wait until camping season starts again because I want to go back!
(more photos to come.....)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, how i LOVE your photos!! do you have a flickr account? i would love to see more!

Anonymous said...

and i've seen those stacked stone with a round one on top on other photo blogs...what are they again?

linda said...

What a beautiful place. I would live in that farmhouse in a second.
Love your photos, as always.

Wendy said...

Jillsy... I think those rock stacks are called cairns (at least that is what I've heard them called).

Linda....thanks, I would live there too!

Agnes CF Lee said...

Lovely kids photos, they are adorable!

Book Lover said...

Oooh, next time tell us and we will meet you there! We went to Flathead lake last weekend with our camper!

Anonymous said...

Wendy, the weekend looks ans sounds fabulous save for the reverse of the pickle lunch. :)) The town of Wallace looks charming ... Steve and I went through there on our honeymoon, but never stopped. Now I wish we had!

Your opening shot is so peaceful ...
nearly steal one's breath. ~ Wishing you a blesses and blissful weekend, my friend!

patty said...

i love your photos... do you do any editing? i'm dieing to take a ps class for portrait photography... i'm no good at that and want to learn... love the shot of his parking sign, and your daughter in the doorway, and all the kids, 3 looking away (isn't that how it always is??)