***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pigeon Pink -- I ♥ Faces

The theme this week at I ♥ Faces is "Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness." I really wanted to post a photo of Nona all dolled up in pink.... but I couldn't stop thinking about this photo I took while we were in Seattle. We had just left Pike Place Market, and were headed to the BBB (Big Black 'Burban) when I spotted this lady and her flock.
The lighting isn't that great.... the background is uninteresting.... and my in camera cropping is horrid.... but still....
This image spoke to me long before I had my camera set.
I stopped and spoke with the lady.... she was feeding the pigeons graham crackers but confessed to me that there were several pigeons in her flock that were injured and she gave them special soft cookies.

To me, she epitomizes what it means to be a woman.
Be strong... even if you are weak.
Be brave.... even if you are all alone.
Be generous.... even if you have very little.
Believe..... in kindness.
And find something to nurture and love.

15 comments:

MPE by Irela said...

Wow...I too loved the photo and even more once I read your story. Great capture.

Southern Gal said...

Wendy, I think this is perfect for the theme. Being a woman...just being.

Candy Howard said...

Love this!

Rachel Petersen said...

This is a fabulous shot and the story makes it even better!

Alita said...

Such depth of emotion. This picture evokes everything that you mentioned. I'm sure that is why you needed to take that picture. Add that is realistic... wow!

Catherine Grace Life Photography said...

Lovely, lovely photo...everything about it is fabulous.

carlotta cisternas said...

Love the story behind this photo! It reminds me a bit of the old lady in Mary Poppins who feeds the birds at the church steps :)

faith ann raider said...

WOW - just LOVE the colors in this!! :)

liz,b8y portraits said...

When I look at this photo it makes me feel as if time has stopped just for a little while . . . love it!

Book Lover said...

I thought of Mary Poppins too when I read the title. That picture is so sweet, I think you should win!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

lynette355 said...

Oh I love this one and especially the thought behind it.

Anonymous said...

This shall be me in my silvered years ... still feeding the birds and wearing my coveted pink! I ADORE this photo more than I can express ... to think there are still those in this world who will lovingly offer morsels to pigeons nearly steals my breath. She is a kindred soul. I probably would have bowled her over with a hug and kiss, then joined in with feeding my feathered friends!

Unknown said...

I love this so much Wendy. I am very, very happy that you were a winner this week. This picture was my favorite of all of them. I love the story. I love the lady. I love that you captured her essence. How beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Tracy P. said...

Wow Wendy! I had to come and tell you this photo totally brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing.