***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Tree Hunt

The meeting was called to order.... all present and accounted for....
...the voting commenced...
All in favor? {5 yeas} .....  All opposed?   {crickets....}

So real it is.....
{guess who reluctantly brought up the vote?  the light stringer and the needle cleaner-upper of course}

Ah well..... traditions.... traditions...
besides.... which is more fun? getting the tree from the attic or selecting your very own "perfect" tree from the local tree farm?
...memories made right here....

Searching...

smiling...

searching...

Perfect tree found...

Goof-ball and snow-ball
{i have a fascination with this old truck.  everytime we come here to cut a tree....it beckons me....i love the colors}

{i love the peely paint}

Now...if Mom would only get the tree up.... {crickets}
...in good time...all in good time...

***Here's a little tip for photography in snow***
Go ahead and meter like you normally would.  Then up the exposure compensation by 1 full stop.  The exposure compensation button is the  little +/- button.  Mine is on the top of my camera ... so push the button and then rotate the flywheel until you see +1.0 on your screen.  Why do you need to do this?  Because the snow acts as a huge reflector and as such it overwhelms your sensor's ability to properly meter on your subject. So, if you were to meter as you normally do, the subject would be darker than you want.  Just don't forget to turn it back when you're done or your next set of photos will be WAY overexposed.  Give it a try and see what you think!

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

Lovely photos. I love the truck, too. Such colors and textures. Your kids are super cute, too.

Traci said...

Good tip, although it may be awhile until I have to remember this - snow in the south doesn't happen so often.
I love seeing your wintery photos though!! Looks like a wonderful family adventure.

Southern Gal said...

We bought a live tree yesterday...from Lowe's. No good tree farms near us. After three trips for lights at the store, I still don't have the thing totally finished.

And if it snows here, I'll know how to take great snow shots. Thanks! How do you keep from having everything printed and put on your walls? Those shots are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, it has years since I went on a tree hunt. How I love the aroma of fresh pine permeating the house. However, I am severely allergic to pine, hence at a young age our family began a new tradition at Christmas of collecting lovely gnarled, barren branches and bedecking them clear mini lights and various heirloom ornaments.

What a lovely tradition you have gifted your family ... for years to come they will carry the memories of harvesting of a tree, the fresh bouquet of pine, and time spent with each other ...
For me, that is what this time of year signifies the most ....

Wishing you and the family another year overflowing with blessed and blissful memories!