I do love being a mother, I really do--honestly. I love the beautiful spontaneous smiles of my baby girl. I love the soft pats on my face from Walter's hands. I love the look of rapture on Wyatt's face when he has made a new discovery. I love to sit back and watch Reid think his way through a problem. I wouldn't trade my life for anything, anywhere. Becoming a mother has taught me a lot about sacrificing, putting myself last (not always successful at that one), choking down cutting remarks (not always very good at that one either), and begging God for more patience. But being a mother has also taught me a lot about love--unconditional, all-forgiving, even when you are dog tired love.
I have this cross-stitched poem on my desk--right next to my computer monitor. My mom had it when we were little and she handed it down to me before I even had children. I guess she knew I would need it!
Give me patience
when little hands
tug at me with
ceaseless small demands.
Give me gentle words
and smiling eyes
and keep my lips from
hasty sharp replies.
That when in years to come
my house is still beautiful,
memories it's rooms may fill.
~
Believe me, I need to read and apply it every day--sometimes more than once a day! I am sure "in years to come" I will wish for little clamoring voices and tiny hands pulling. But for now-- Dear God, please give me patience....
1 comment:
I love that poem... and need it on most days. thanks:)
Post a Comment