This week has been teacher conferences, thus school has been out early every day, and thus I have been enjoying having this child o' mine, first born, turning young man home more during the day. You may think it's crazy, but I miss having him home every other day like it was in kindergarten. We met with Reid's teacher yesterday afternoon, and I am proud to report that Reid is doing very well in school. It is good to know that he is courteous and respectful, helpful and kind, and a seemingly natural leader and organizer. Of course, we've known that he has a natural tendency to being a leader and organizer since day 2. Well, OK -- since about the age of two. On good days we think "natural leader and organizer" and on bad days we think "bossy and compulsive", but thankfully most days are good days. The skills he is developing right now will serve him well the rest of his life. Just last week when they were discussing what they wanted to be when they grew up, Reid told his class that he "wanted to serve his country". I'm not sure where that came from, but I am sure that whatever Reid puts his hand and heart to do, he will do it well. Can you tell I am a proud Momma?
We have discovered that his education not only occurs in the classroom and at home, but also on the bus. Let's see -- he learned how to give wedgies when an older, bigger kid gave him one on the bus (something I was not too happy about). He also learned how to give the one finger salute.....yeah, not so good, but I'm sure he would have learned it sooner or later. But you know what? He asked me what it meant before he tried it out on his brothers (unlike the wedgie). I was proud of him for discerning that it probably wasn't a good thing. (I think his clue that it was a bad thing was that the 3rd grader that instructed him told him to "Do this in your mother's face and then run away!" Um....right.) I was going to politely talk to someone (who? bus driver? teacher? i don't know?) about the wedgie thing, but I think Reid may have figured it out for himself. He has become friends with Don the bus driver --even gave him a meticulously colored picture of Spiderman this morning -- and is riding near the front of the bus.That's my little man.
Keep thinking, learning, reading, caring -- you will go far.
I love you.
Keep thinking, learning, reading, caring -- you will go far.
I love you.
2 comments:
Good job, Reid!
Love,
Grandma
Reid,
You are a top notch writer! Wish I could be there to hear you read. I hear that you are pretty swell at that, too!
Molly
Post a Comment