This kitty loves a warm place to sleep the day away.His usual place is on our bed
...all
....day
.....long

It is on cold blustery days like today that I am very thankful for our new gas fireplace. Up until now we have heated primarily with wood in the winters. I like wood heat -- it is WARM. And, if you cut and chop your own wood -- it warms you twice, right? Right. (Yes, I CAN chop wood -- I prefer to leave the power tools to Randy). But wood was getting very hard for us to find, and frankly we didn't have the time to go to the mountains and get our own. Last year wood was running around $200 a cord, and we needed at least 4 cords to heat through the winter. We could heat with natural gas for that price. So that's what we did.
We love our gas fireplace. It is a {Home Heater from FireplaceXtrordinair}. It can really put out the heat, and best of all, I don't have to keep the woodstove going all day long. I didn't mind keeping the fire going too much. I grew up with wood stoves, so I was used to the chore, but I did mind the soot, ash, dust, bugs, dirt, and bark that comes along with all the wood. We had considered a pellet stove, but after much humming and hawing, we went with gas. This fireplace will work during a power outage without the use of a generator, which a pellet stove will not and since we had the option of natural gas.......
Didn't Randy do a great job on the soapstone around the fireplace? He just installed it this last weekend. We had a few pieces left over from our kitchen counters and they worked perfectly here. The soapstone holds the heat for a long time -- it's a good handwarmer! I love soapstone. But that's a whole other post.......

1 comment:
Beautiful Wendy! Randy did a lovely job! I grew up on a the warmth of a wood stove also, what a mess and a chore ... how nice to have the benefits of a fireplace without the hassle.
Post a Comment