***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sisters (and using a reflector II)

Between the two of us, Randy and I have some beautiful girls...
I hope you'll indulge me this opinion....
although the hair color and skin tones between Randy's older children and his younger children are so strikingly different....
they are all gorgeous!
(if I do say so myself)

While Molly and Caitlin were both visiting, I asked them to do some modeling for me...
(I really appreciated shooting models that didn't move every split second -- really, really -- xoxo)

I have posted a photo of Caitlin similar to this one last week. Out at the fair, I had so many comment on how gorgeous that photo was.... I attribute it all to the gorgeous model.... with a little help from reflectors.

Here you can see in the photo on the left, the somewhat contrasty golden sun shining from the left. Although the colors are beautiful, the sun made sharp shadows on her face and made her skin tone very warm. So I enlisted the help of my handy, dandy reflector (held by my handy, dandy hubby) to cast some diffuse shade over Caitlin.
I love how using the reflector in this way brought our her creamy skin and gorgeous green eyes.
I could never have saved the first photo with any Photoshop magic.


In this set of photos, we used the gold side of the reflector to reflect the sun back at Caitlin. The sun was over her shoulder and without the reflector it would have been more difficult to get proper exposure on her face. However, the gold is a little too much for her skin.... makes it super golden... but with a black and white conversion, the gold reflector was just the right amount of light.

More back-lit and side-lit photos and use of a reflector.... the white side of the reflector this time.
Can you see how much using a reflector will help your back-lit shots?
I know that a lot of photographers will use a fill flash in this instance, and I might too if I had a speedlight, because I don't really like using the flash on top of my D90....
but the reflector gives such a nice soft light.
The only downside of using a reflector-- you need a helper or an easel.


Now, go forth and get yourself a reflector, you'll thank me.
(Thanks so much for modeling for me, Caitlin.)
Anyone else want to model?


PS... the photo that won Best of Class was the photo of raindrops on the grass. Thanks for asking ;)

12 comments:

Hannah said...

wow, Caitlin is a beautiful model and the pictures are gorgeous! I really like how the reflector changed the lighting it is really amazing how it changed everything.
I love learning new tips, thank you!

Traci said...

Beautiful photos of some beautiful girls! Thanks for the info to my questions. I've been using a large piece of foam core as a reflector, but feel like a bit of a goober whenever I pull it out. (;

Anna K. said...

Such lovely ladies! And, oh, what beautiful pictures!

I've been checking out reflectors for a while...reading this and seeing the results in your photos is proof positive that having one in my bag of photo tricks is a must. Thank you much!

Southern Gal said...

Beautiful girls!

Amy said...

The girls are just beautiful - it's true.

Thanks for the reflector tips. Now I need an assistant! What size do you suggest?

I love the raindrops shot - I remember when you posted it.

Unknown said...

It is amazing what that reflector does. I had to look up what you were talking about. I saw some at Amazon that looks like a windshield protector that folds up to a circle. Is that what you have?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful girls! Beautiful pictures!
WOW! :)))

Alita said...

I'm sold.

Going to get a reflector this weekend!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful girls and wonderful post. I've been considering buying a reflector for some time, but have been putting it off. You've convinced me that I definitely need to go out and do it!

Jacque said...

Beautiful photos ! Beautiful Blog!

Kiss

Jacque

Phyllis said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have just nominated you for a blog award. It is just a token of my appreciation for you and your blog, which makes me happy.
http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/i-just-received-blog-award-from-love-2.html

Molly said...

aww! caitlin is so striking! i love these pics even though they are making me majorly homesick. xoxo!