***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Monday, January 3, 2011

Snowflakes

Much as Carpe Diem.... this is a wonderful motto to live by...
Begin what you want to do with your life NOW.... don't wait until you are rich enough, old enough, smart enough, happy enough.....or just enough.
Seize the Day!
(before it melts away into eternity)
That's my motto for 2011.

One of my goals this winter has been to capture some snowflake macros......
I can check that one off my "To Do" list now. I find that if I put off things until I have time for them.... they never get done.
So instead of doing laundry, cleaning up toys, or whatever else was in need of doing.... I took myself outside and played with my camera to capture some images I've been wanting to do.....before the newly minted snowflakes turned into tiny, misshapen crystals.

If you look carefully, you can see this snowflake has a reflection right behind it.
I took this one on the tinted rear window on the Big Black Burban.
(which turned out to be the best surface of all that I tried)

This almost looks like a snowflake star in a constellation of tiny stars...
(more from the rear window)


These I captured on an upturned frying pan.
I had to really dig to find a dark, smooth, non-reflective surface to take photos against.

More from the frying pan...

These are on a piece of black construction paper.
This is what I tried first, and you can see that the paper texture is a little much.

Another on the construction paper.... it turned out a little better.
And then my fingers were so cold.... I had to quit and go check on the kids  ;)
But.... the day was captured.... sparkling and yet to melt.
What are you going to capture today?

Here is a small mosaic of some of our Christmas loot....
Yes, I was very spoiled and pampered..... and for that I am VERY greatful!
(that's my new baby.... a gripped D700...Oh BABY!!!)


linking up to Mosaic Monday at Mary's Little Red House
and Macro Monday at Lisa's Chaos

14 comments:

CJ said...

Oh wow!! Those are so...stunning!! Congrats on the new camera too, btw.

Susan said...

Those snowflakes are AMAZING.

Loved your mosaic.

Your photograhy inspires me. Simply incredible~

Oh, and congrats on your new baby!!!

Phyllis said...

We all had to look at these photos. They are so stunning. It is so amazing to think that each time it snows the flakes all look this detailed and beautiful. Awe-inspiring!

Anonymous said...

absolutely amazing!

Karen said...

The snowflakes are fantabulous.

Ann Porteous said...

Wow the snowflakes are amazing!! love the mosiacs! is that a photo program that you use to do them in? I always look forward to seeing you post new pictures, they are so inspiring!

http://livingwithporteous.blogspot.com

Kala said...

Those snowflake images are stunning!

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous.

Unknown said...

You completely wow the art teacher at my school. She loves all of your photos!She just oohed and ahhed over the snowflakes.

Emily said...

As usual, I LOVE your photos! You are so creative and they are so unique!

Unknown said...

wonderful photos. I can't seem to catch the snowflakes.

chasity said...

those snowflake photos just blow me away....amazing!!!!!
so glad you left the laundry for later.
:)

chas

shirley said...

Amazing snowflakes. The macro lens is definitely next for me!
So jealous of your new camera - it will go to good use, for sure!

Molly said...

whoa. those snowflakes kind of took my breath away!