***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Friday, May 28, 2010

Lemon Spritz Cookies

I have long wanted a vintage cookie press, so when I heard of a large estate sale last month, I went specifically in search of one. I even asked the ladies there if they had one (as I could not find one in the massive amounts of items for sale). Low and behold, they had two! I just bought one -- for $2! What a steal! It had quite a few press molds all neatly stored inside the canister. What luck!

So, for Wyatt's preschool graduation, we made Lemon Spritz Cookies. They were yummy! I made a thin lemon icing to dip or paint the cookies with and then added tiny nonpareils for a little color and pretty. I have no idea if the cookies were well loved at Wyatt's school, but here at home the leftovers disappeared like magic!

Here is the recipe I used if you are interested:

1 c. butter softened
4 oz. cream cheese softened
1 c. granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp dried lemon zest (you could also zest fresh lemon 1 Tbl)
2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Cream butter, sugar, cream cheese until fluffy. Add egg yolk, vanilla, lemon extract and zest -- mix well. Add flour and salt and mix until combined. Place dough in cookie press and press cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Icing:
2 c. powdered sugar
2-3 Tbl lemon juice (enough to make thin icing)

Icing can be painted on or dipped. Candy nonpareils or colored sugar can be sprinkled on or dipped on if desired.


Enjoy!!!!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love spritz cookies and remember my mother making them every Christmas. You were so lucky to find an old one with lots of discs. Your lemon version sounds wonderful

Renée said...

Citrus anything is my favorite and you made these cookies look extra pretty. Thanks so much!