***This blog has moved***

***This blog has moved***
Please click image to be redirected. Thank you!

Posted on my new blog -- Almota Roses Photography

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Before and After

Previously on my blog -- a before and after -- before: no mantel, after: Yes mantel!
Linking up to the {Nester's Mantel Party}. Thanks for stopping by!


Are you ready for some before and after? Here is our living/dining room before. The pictures were taken a few years ago -- we have since purchased some different pieces of furniture. The main purpose is to show you the hideous faux rock wall and the brick wall behind the wood stove. Last spring and summer we did {this} and {this--the brick wall part}. It was a lot of work and a lot of mess. We lived all summer without furniture in the living and dining rooms. But it was WELL worth it.

Ta-da!!! Rock wall gone.
Period appropriate (1917) bookshelves and mantle--
doors yet to be installed on the lower cupboards.

Brick wall and woodstove gone!!! We left the floor-to-ceiling brick chimney.
Period appropriate dark-stained trim and crown added.
Period appropriate short-walled room divider and pillars added.
Books and toys scattered: optional.

It took me a few years of living in our home, and many books and magazines to help me figure out what I wanted our home to look like. Going at it slowly has probably been the biggest help getting my ideas from the hazy recesses of my brain into board and nail reality. That and viewing lots of pictures of older homes.

And I cannot take all the credit (really hardly any of the credit) because our {AWESOME contractor Mr. Stratton} is so FABULOUS to work with. He has a real eye for detail and a vast knowledge base that I frequently pick for all my little ideas. No--you cannot steal him from me!!!!! He-he.

Sorry I have been so tardy in postings this week. I have been doing a little of this..... for the kitchen. Soon, very soon our kitchen renovation (started before Walter was born--almost 4 years ago) will be done too!

9 comments:

Betina said...

You've done an amazing job with your home.

Anonymous said...

WOW, Wendy! It looks BEAUTIFUL!!!
Now you will never want to leave your lovely home ... for anything!
Enjoy your castle!folog

Southern Gal said...

What a wonderful job you all did! It doesn't look like the same place. Wanna come for an extended visit and redo my dining/living/kitchen area?

Molly said...

Wow. That looks like everything you would want a home to be--beautiful, liveable, and very personal. I love it!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the finished kitchen project! It is so exciting to watch the metamorphosis of your house over the years. What project are you going to do when you come to my house this summer!

Wendy said...

Betina and Paula -- thanks, I am enjoying my castle.

So-Gal-- Ha Ha! You wouldn't want to wait as long as it has taken me to make up my mind about many things!

Molly-- thanks -- only thing missing is you!

Mom-- yes, me too. But you should see the kitchen right now..... A MESS!

Kim said...

You have a gorgeous home Wendy. I just love your style. And THAT's what I call a transformation! I especially love the sweet dog pic over your mantle.
xoxo,
Kim

Christine said...

That built in is just gorgeous! I don't usually see other old homes so yours was a pleasure.

BTW, love those little red heads :) I have a weakness for the carrot tops.

Debbiedoos said...

Oh that is awesome and so my style!~ I love Old era's and you did a beautiful job of bringing that into your home....I am hosting my very first giveaway..hope you come join and participate, it is easy and fun!~ I also linked up to the mantel party, debbiedoos:)